Friday, December 9, 2011

Quinoa for Breakast!



Welcome to my newest love, quinoa. A year ago I was very intimidated by the little seed. I barely knew how to pronounce it, let alone make it. I didn't even know what to make it with!



A year and several recipes later (and simply following the package directions), I am now smitten. Because of it's health benefits (check this link out to read how very good for you this amino acid rich this protein is), I will forever replace rice with quinoa. See, your possibilities just jumped!


Although I am a huge fan of savory dishes (I will hook you up with some savory quinoa dishes soon), I was wanting a filling and hearty breakfast the other morning. Usually this means bacon and eggs, but it was 30 degrees out and I wanted something more.


Enters quinoa. I threw this together (as I often do), but I know that you can make this your own with whatever you have around in the pantry.

You are going to love my measurements here, but I think you will get the idea.



Breakfast Quinoa

Quinoa cooked per package directions (check box for serving size)
a splash of milk (I used no fat milk, but vanilla almond milk would be yum)
a drizzle of agave nectar (or honey)
Dried cranberries
Nuts (I used a mixture from a trail mix I had on hand)
a dash of cinnamon

Now for you quinoa newbies, go try it!
Quinoa novices? I want to know how you eat your quinoa for breakfast!


No comments: